Fan of Full Fathom Five? Be sure to check it out at its new home!

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Nets of Silver and Gold



I discovered a beautiful online edition of one of my favorite poems, about small fishermen who sail midnight skies after sparkling herring-fish, now known as Wynken, Blynken and Nod. Originally published under the title, "Dutch Lullaby," it appears in the 1889 edition of A Little Book of Western Verse by Eugene Field, which is available in a text-only edition at Project Gutenberg.

A very sentimental poem, its popularity seems to have declined since the 1970s when many recordings of it were released and Shel Silverstein wrote "Ickle me, Pickle me, Tickle me too." However it remains dear to me, especially at night, when venturing into the realm of dreams can seem as uncertain as sailing unknown seas.

No comments: