Fan of Full Fathom Five? Be sure to check it out at its new home!

Monday, July 28, 2008

Sustainable seafood resources

Trevor Corson (author of one of my favorite books, The zen of fish) maintains a very entertaining blog that is a great source of information on sustainable seafood, The Scrawling Claw. Recently he guided his readers to a new publication, Seafood solutions : a chef's guide available from the The Chef's Collective.

It's intriguing reading. Aimed at professional chefs, it's nonetheless of interest to those who consume seafood or who wish to keep abreast of fishery issues. It also has excellent bibliographies, mentioning the Pew Oceans Commission report of 2002 as well as a cookbook. Under "Further Resources" (on p.15) you'll find an excellent list of fisheries, seafood and aquarium websites, including the Monterey Bay Aquarium's which provides the popular Seafood Watch guides for consumers.

And if you're hungry, the last page points you to some restaurants.

2 comments:

timmynocky said...

Hi,
I enjoyed you post on sustainable seafood. I often trail a fishing line from my boat but rarely catch anything however; I do enjoy collecting and cooking samphire from the banks of the creek where my boat is moored. The creek is appropriately called St Pierre Pill, it is in Wales on the Severn Estuary.

Heather said...

Hi, timmynocky--

Thanks for the kind words! I have to admit that I had to look up samphire (I'm not sure if we have it out here), and found it listed in on the BBC's Good Food glossary. They recommend asparagus as a substitute if you can't find samphire--I wonder how closely it compares?